An integration with Degreed allows customers to view and browse DataCamp's entire course catalog within their learning experience platform (LXP). Customers will also have the option of receiving course completion updates in Degreed so they can see what courses their learners have completed. For those with single sign-on (SSO) enabled, we can also configure a seamless sign-in experience so that learners can go directly from Degreed to DataCamp in one simple click.
DataCamp enables this integration by sending two files (content catalog and user content completion) to an SFTP server hosted by Degreed.
Configuring Degreed Integration
An Enterprise or Enterprise Usage plan is required.
We integrate with Degreed via an SFTP delivery method. This means that we will send two .csv files containing our content catalog and user content completion details to an SFTP server hosted by Degreed. We will continue to send updated versions of these files on a daily cadence so that any changes are reflected in your learning experience platform. Once the files have been placed on the server, Degreed will ingest this data and make it available within your Degreed environment.
DataCamp's integration with Degreed consists of three main parts:
- Configuring single sign-on (optional)
- Syncing DataCamp's content catalog with Degreed
- Sending DataCamp user content completion data to Degreed
Configuring Single Sign-On (SSO)
By enabling single sign-on (SSO), learners will be able to pass through Degreed to a specific DataCamp course seamlessly. We generally recommend enabling SSO as it is more secure, increases adoption, and ultimately lends itself to a better user experience. That said, SSO is not a requirement for our Degreed integration. For more information on configuring SSO, please read our documentation here.
Syncing DataCamp's Content Catalog
When you are ready to go live with your integration, DataCamp will place an initial content catalog file on an SFTP server hosted by Degreed. This file will then be ingested and displayed within your Degreed environment. DataCamp will continue to send a content catalog file every 24 hours so that new content added to our library will be reflected in your Degreed environment. This file will include a unique course ID as well as some additional metadata (e.g. description) for each course. If SSO is enabled, we can send SSO Enabled Deep Links for each course in this file which will create a seamless sign-on experience for the learner.
Sending DataCamp User Content Completion Data to Degreed
DataCamp will also send a user content completion file containing a transcript record of which users completed specific content and on what date. An updated version of this file is also sent every 24 hours to reflect any changes to a user's content completion history.
Degreed Setup Steps
To configure your Degreed integration, please reach out to our Customer Success Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or your Customer Success Manager to get started. The following are the steps for configuring the integration with Degreed:
- For customers looking to enable single sign-on (SSO), the first step will be to configure your Identity Provider (IdP) and DataCamp SSO settings. For more information about configuring SSO, you can view this page here.
- To enable the Degreed integration, we will need the following details provided by your Degreed Technical Solutions Specialist:
- Confirm SFTP Address, username, and password
- Filename convention for the content catalog file
- Filename convention for the user content completion file
- Once the details provided are confirmed, your Customer Success Manager will activate the integration. An initial upload with our full content catalog and user content completion information will be immediately uploaded to the SFTP server. Updated versions of the files will then be scheduled to send every 24 hours.
- Your Degreed Technical Solutions Specialist will be able to confirm that the files have been received and have been collected to display in your Degreed environment.
What content types are included in the content catalog?
Currently, the only DataCamp content sent to the LMS includes courses. Projects, tracks, practice, mobile, and DataCamp Signal™ skill assessment results are not sent at this time.
How often will these files be sent?
DataCamp will send updated versions of both the content catalog and user content completion file every 24 hours at 6 PM UTC. This means there may be up to a 24-hour delay between when a user completes a course and when it is reflected in Degreed. Likewise, a change in DataCamp's course catalog may not be reflected in Degreed until the next day.
How long does it take to set up an integration with Degreed?
Assuming your requirements fall within the scope of the integration described in this article, configuring the integration itself can be completed in one day.
What are SSO Enabled Deep Links?
An SSO Enabled Deep Link is any link to a page on DataCamp which contains a company SSO identifier. When a user clicks on this link, we will automatically redirect them to the IdP to sign in (if they aren't already) with SSO, and then redirect them back to the page they originally intended to navigate to. If they don't have a DataCamp account yet, then we automatically provision them a new one.
In the context of an LMS, this means that users can click on an SSO Enabled Deep Link to a specific course and immediately be brought to that course as a logged-in user. This eliminates an extra sign-in step when they get to DataCamp, and it creates a smooth experience for the end user.
The format of any SSO Enabled Deep Link is: https://www.datacamp.com/groups/<GROUP_IDENTIFIER>/sso/saml/login?path=<PATH>.
- Requirements outside the scope of the integration described above are subject to additional professional service fees beyond the cost of the license and additional development time.
- Some requirements may require support from your LXP provider, which may require you to engage with their professional services team.